Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Sail

The original version of this song by Awolnation is hard to beat, but this remix is pretty dope:


I liked this song from the very first time I heard it, but have always wondered what the lyrics mean:
This is how I show my love
I made it in my mind because
I blame it on my ADD baby
This is how an angel dies
I blame it on my own sick pride
Blame it on my ADD baby
Sail!  Sail!  Sail!  Sail!  Sail!
Maybe I should cry for help
Maybe I should kill myself
Blame it on my ADD baby
Maybe I'm a different breed
Maybe I'm not listening
So blame it on my ADD baby

Sail!  Sail!  Sail!  Sail!  Sail!
La la la la la, la la la la la, oh! 
La la la la la, la la la la la, oh!
La la la la, la la la la
Sail!  Sail!  Sail!  Sail!  Sail!
Sail with me into the dark
Sail!
Sail with me into the dark
Sail!
Sail with me into the dark
Sail!
Sail with me
Sail!
Sail with me
I've heard these lyrics explained in a few different ways including 1) someone is struggling to fit into society who, for whatever reason, is somewhat of an outcast; this song is a tongue-in-cheek way of telling the norm and everyone who follows it to go screw themselves, 2) more literally in that someone is struggling with ADD or other mental issue and may be having real issues with it but also may choose to skirt responsibility and blame everything on the disease; they may try to laugh off their problems without facing them head on, 3) someone struggling with drug and/or alcohol addiction who is in a dark place and kind of ok with it; they are content to sail away on the next high, and 4) the destruction of a relationship in which the person realizes they have contributed to the demise of the relationship and perhaps even the other person but they can't and/or won't try to fix things even though ultimately they still want to be with that person. 
I'm still not sure which interpretation I think is the most accurate or if there is another interpretation out there which offers a better explanation.  I'm certainly interested to hear what other people think!  However, regardless of the writer's intended meaning, the song is simply excellent!

No comments:

Post a Comment