Friday, March 6, 2015

DZ Nuts Embrocation Cream

I was sifting through the clearance items recently at work and saw this:


and thought, "What in the world!!!???"  I thought it was some kind of warming chamois cream.  TrySports Terri laughed at me and explained that it should never be used anywhere near body parts that come into contact with a chamois.  In other words don't confuse the above for:


Turns out DZ Nuts Embrocation Cream was developed by pro cyclist Dave Zabriskie


on his quest for "freedom from water-logged tights" during inclement weather.  Embrocation cream heats up once you put it on your skin giving you the sensation of warmth.  As per the bottle it "loosens and prepares muscles for maximum exertion, as well as providing warmth, protection, and comfort during the most nasty weather conditions."  Another benefit is that it apparently gives you "that 'euro-trash' gleaming shine".

I was skeptical after hearing about all this and put it back in the clearance bin.  A few weeks later I looked at the weather forecast for the Setup Events Azalea Sprint Triathlon and after I saw that it was going to be 30 degrees that morning, I got curious and pulled out the embrocation cream again.  After reading the directions, I was sold!


I've tested it out twice so far and it works really well.  Maybe a little too well.  It seems like there is a bit of a delay between when you put the cream on and when it starts working.  The first time I tried it I didn't really feel the burn until after I was down with my workout.  The second time I put it on 15 minutes ahead of time and it did kick in during the workout, but again I felt most of the effects afterwards, especially while taking a hot shower!  It seems to last 2-4 hours.  I do really like the concept of this cream because in a cold race you do not want to stop and take time to put on pants in T1.  As an added bonus the active ingredients are plant-derived:  capsicum, the same spicy ingredients in peppers!  My plan is to put this on 30 min before the race starts and then like direction #3 says above, "Ride like a champion."  

No comments:

Post a Comment